Zucchini Fritters is a very delicious main course and a family favourite of our author Aleks Adriann. We all love them because of their perfectly crispy edges, tender middle part and the simplicity of their preparation.
Why is this recipe good
For this recipe you need just few simple ingredients or variations of them. For example you can use any cheese you like and also make the fritters with or without gluten, depending on what flour you would choose.
Another great thing about these fritters is that they are very easy: the whole process takes about half hour. They are also very delicious: the perfect quick dinner for a busy family.
How to make the mixture
One of the most important moments for the success of your zucchini fritters is to remove the excess water from them before preparing the mixture. Removing the water also makes them crispier.
To do that, you need to grate the zucchini, add some salt and set them aside for 10 minutes. Then place them in a clean cheese cloth or a tea towel and squeeze very well the water out. You need to remove as much water as possible.
Then place the grated zucchini in a bowl and add the rest of the ingredients. The combination of cornstarch and corn flour is the key for the perfect consistency of the fritters. You can of course use wheat flour instead of corn flour if you are not concerned about gluten content.
Cooking the fritters
These fritters are equally tasty both fried or baked.
To bake them you need to preheat the oven to 400º F/ 200º C and arrange them in a large tin. It would take about 20-25 minutes.
To make them even crispier, heat some oil in a pan, just to cover its bottom, and then spoon the fritters on top. Use the back of the spoon to flatten them out so they get cooked better inside.
How to serve
Traditionally in Bulgaria this type of fritters are served with a yogurt and garlic sauce. If you like the idea, you can try Aleks's simple recipe for the sauce, included in the recipe below.
This tasty Zucchini Fritters recipe is one of the easiest dinners you can prepare at home during the zucchini season!
Did you like this recipe? Let me know in the comments what you think about it!
If you like the blog, subscribe to receive new recipes every week!
For the fritters:
- 2 pounds/ 1 kg zucchini
- 2/3 cup/ 50 g grated cheddar or other cheese
- 2 large eggs or 3 small
- 2 tbsp dried dill
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper freshly ground
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/3 cup/ / 50 g corn flour
For the sauce:
- 1 cup/ 250 g plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves minced,
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- salt and pepper to taste
Make the fritters:
- Shred the zucchini on the large wholes of a kitchen grater. Transfer it to a colander. Add the salt and mix well. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the shredded zucchini to a cheese cloth or a clean tea towel and wrap them well. Squeeze until water is not coming out any more from the cloth.
- Place the zucchini in a large bowl and add the eggs, corn flour, cornstarch, the grated cheese and the minced garlic. Add pepper to taste.
- Place a non stick pan over medium heat and pour some oil, just to cover the bottom.
- Use a spoon to take from the zucchini mixture and place it into the heated oil. Flatten the fritters with the back of your spoon.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes from each side, until golden.
- Preheat oven to 400° F/ 200°C. Make flat fritters with your hands and arrange them on a large tin lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes, then flip them and bake for another 10 minutes.
Make the sauce:
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix well until combined.
- You can use all-purpose flour instead of corn flour.
You may also like the following recipes...